Bushfires are one of the most common natural disasters that Australia experiences during the hotter months of the year. They cause a severe damage to property and harm human lives as well. The deadliest bushfire that Australia has ever experienced is the 2009 black Saturday bushfires, in which 173 people lost their lives. Thousands of homes were destroyed and the country suffered loss of millions of dollars. Predicting such disasters is impossible and controlling them isn’t easy. At Rhino Shutter, the leading manufacturer of bushfires shutters Sydney, we feel that you must take care of your own safety and get fire rated shutters installed at every possible door and window. Apart from this, here are some important safety tips that will help you avoid bushfires as much as possible.
- You are more likely to suffer from bushfires if you have ‘fuels’ (i.e. objects that catch fire easily) around your house. Make sure you do not have sheds, hay stacks, wooden fences, fuel storage area, etc. near your house. They should be at least 20 metres away from the walls.
- Plough or harrow your yard or the outside of your house in order to remove dried grass that can be a potential fuel for bushfire. Clean your gutters regularly to clear the dried leaves and twigs. Clear away dead vegetation, long grasses, and any form of timber as soon as summers begin. The more careful you remain, the less you will be at risk. Make sure you remove every potential hazard from your premises.
- Check your fire fighting equipments to ensure that they are working properly. They should be kept at easy-to-reach locations and all your family members must know how to operate them.
- Make sure your water bodies are accessible. Your swimming pool, tank, and other water reserves should have sufficient water all the time and you must have vessels, buckets, pipes, etc. handy so that you can immediately act to control the fire.
- You cannot actually make your home 100% fireproof, but wire screens and bush fire shutters can prevent fire from entering your home easily. Bushfire shutters Sydney manufacturers like us can suggest the most relevant product as per your home’s need. Get in touch with us to find out the best options that we have to keep your home safe from wildfires.
- Prepare a safety kit that should include:
- Woollen blankets
- Protective clothing for your family
- Battery-powered torch so that you can find your way out in case of night bushfires
- First aid kit
- Glasses for protecting your eyes from the smoke so that you can see and move ahead
- Battery powered radio
- Make a list of important phone numbers and give everyone a copy. Make sure the list is handy so that you can easily contact people during an emergency. The list must include phone numbers of the fire department, your neighbours, your relatives, police, and other concerned departments.
- Unfortunately, bushfires can cause severe damage to your property. We, therefore, strongly recommend you to keep your insurance up to date.
We hope this blog educates you about preparing yourself for bushfires. If you are looking for bushfire shutters Sydney, contact us today at 02 8093 6625 for an obligation free quote.